link and page content

Welcome to my blog. Click here if you are interested in viewing my Learning to Navigate Blindness Website.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Learning to spot

I've been wanting to find ways to be more independent while flying and working at the rig. The less people have to help me do stuff the less burdensome I am in the long run. So I asked if I could learn to spot by using the rope lines today. These lines are used on flyers to keep them from falling and getting hurt until they learn a trick solidly.

Kyla bravely showed me how and had me start spotting her since she is very safe without lines, although I messed up the timing and she wasn't even able to get into her splits on the bar. I figured out you don't want to pull on the ropes as they fly back towards the platform otherwise you could kill the swing. Dylan let me practice on his swings and a layout, and so did Bruce. Then Bruce says I'm doing a double and I was like "WHAT???" and off he went. Both of us survived and it was fun. Took me off the ground when I grabbed the rope at the very end.
I love how Bruce is very go getter with me. Let's me try everything, and totally believes in me. Reminds me of my coach Matt in gymnastics back in 1994.

I mainly worked swings and a splits today. Nothing fancy but I'm trying to focus on basics and the swing is very important. I want to get it down and my timing is so off it feels. Plus shoulder and back pain is pretty prevalent too. The splits are so problematic for me. All in my head. I find it ironic that I have no fear and will chuck a double back with no fear and a crappy swing, but I hate splits which is very basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment